Monday, June 10, 2013

Hopes and Dreams

Exactly one year ago today was the last time I posted. This year, instead of posting again about the sadness, I'll talk about the one good thing that came from the most tragic event in my life.

When I was younger, my best friend, Maria (Ria, as I called her) and I would dream about becoming artists when we grew up. For as long as I can remember, I wanted to be a graphic designer just like my aunt. I’ve been fortunate enough to go to school for graphic design and have a job in my field.

On June 10, 2001, Ria died. To this day, her case remains unsolved and open. In Ria’s honor, the family started the RIA Foundation in 2002, and I have been privileged to be a part of the board. The RIA Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that supports the dreams of aspiring artists by promoting art awareness, funding educational opportunities in the arts, and bringing art programs to elementary schools.

Since 2002, the Foundation’s program, Art4Kids, has provided over 10,000 elementary school students an opportunity to express their Hopes and Dreams creatively through art. We currently visit schools throughout the school year in the San Francisco Bay Area and Southern California, and every January in Maui for 1 week. The Foundation provides art supplies and a t-shirt for children to paint their Hopes and Dreams on, which they get to keep.

While the art project has not changed and many of the Hopes and Dreams that have been shared are similar, every child has been different and special. It’s hard to put into words what I see and feel when I hear each child paint and share about their Hopes and Dreams. Seeing their joy eliminates long nights of prep and it really is priceless when a child’s smile can brighten your day.

We have also awarded thousands of dollars in scholarships to aspiring art students to further their hopes and dreams as artists. Many of these artists have had continued success after their collegiate careers. Some have also showcased their gifts in the art exhibits we have hosted at the famed San Francisco Union Square.

Sharing Ria’s love for art to the world this way is bittersweet; I’m proud, but the reason behind it is so tragic. If I can encourage even a handful of kids to follow their Hopes and Dreams and see some of them succeed, then I’ve become more successful than I could ever have imagined.

Someone encouraged me to dream big and working now in a design position has proven that dreams do come true.

What are your Hopes and Dreams?

Ria Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment