Tuesday, January 4, 2011

copy cat!

I remember in elementary school, we used to hate when people copied each other, yelling at them, "COPY CAT!!!"

Now? If you use something similar - whether it's a hook in a song, a line in a book or speech, or an image - is it inspiration or plagiarism? Do we still yell out, "COPY CAT!!" - maybe not so blatantly anymore.

There are many things out there that people draw inspiration from, but where does the line get crossed, or where does it get blurred and fuzzy?

The latest controversy about plagiarism vs. inspiration is making headlines with the upcoming Olympics.

Personally, I see the inspiration, but plagiarism? I'm inclined to agree with the article, I expect something a little more if the intent is to convey energy and exuberance. The feeling I get from it is more of calmness and warmth. If it's supposed to represent nations coming together as well, why are there only 3 figures represented?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment